We feel passionately that Global Citizenship is a vitally important part of children’s development, both in Lawra and in the UK. Making connections, building friendships and increasing understanding helps children to make sense of the world that they live in. Children in our UK classrooms can talk to and see children in a place vastly different to here, build relationships, and start to understand the similarities, as well as the terrible inequality that exists. In what can feel like an increasingly isolationist and disconnected world, classroom links help us all to be active members of a global community.
We have created a number of educational resources for use both in the classroom and at home, based on the culture of Lawra and Ghana as whole. Feel free to download all the resources you would like, get in touch if you have any more questions, and enjoy learning about Ghana!
- Nancy’s Story Video – Sarah tells the story of her friend Nancy (Youtube Link)
- Nancy’s Story – Question Worksheet (PDF)
- ‘A Day in the Life of Benjamin, a School Child in Lawra, Ghana‘ (Flipbook Link)
- ‘A Day in the Life of Benjamin, a School Child in Lawra, Ghana’ (Storybook PDF)
- Benjamin Book Comprehension Questions – with page numbers (PDF)
- Benjamin Book Comprehension Questions – without page numbers (PDF)
- Benjamin Book Reflections Worksheet – (PDF)
- Groundnut Glossary Activity – (PDF)
- A Suitcase to Ghana Activity (PDF)
- A Day in the Life of Benjamin, A School Child in Lawra, Ghana (Flipbook link)
- Similarities and Differences Activity – Read Benjamins story first (above), then complete this worksheet (PDF)
We enjoy and value spending time in UK schools. We can work with school leaders and teachers to create a plan to suit your needs. With Sarah’s teaching background, we are confident and able to offer:
- Whole school assemblies
- Time with individual classes to explore further, including live video links with classrooms in Lawra
- A classroom resource pack for teachers including a short story book to explore the life of a child in Lawra
- Pen pal links
- Loan of a resource box
- Exciting, tangible fundraising opportunities. Where children are inspired to fundraise, they will see exactly what their hard work has achieved in Lawra
Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
These resources are free of charge and are our contribution to global citizenship for local schools and communities.